Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wardrobe Malfunction

Back in the 80's I took the advice of John Molloy and seriously pursued "Dressing for Success".  The original 1977 "Woman's Dress for Success" handbook still rests on my bookshelf (there have since been many, many newer editions).  I didn't spend a whole lot of money and I bought at least half of my stuff "gently worn" at consignment shops.  But dressing well for work was a priority and I honestly believe it helped me move up in my career.  Or at least it helped me "fake it until I could make it".

About five years ago I decided that retirement might be in the near future and I stopped buying high heels, pantyhose and suits.  As a result my work wardrobe became sadly forlorn.  I let stuff deteriorate to the point where fallen hems were held by safety pins and magic-mend-it tape (and even staples!) and the heels on my shoes were so worn as to cause me to walk crooked. 

I've now shlepped the "best" of my stuff to the dry cleaner and have properly hemmed everything (something every short woman in America knows how to do).  Worthy leather high heels are at the shoe repair.  Stuff that is past-its-prime is in the trash.

Mr. Molloy, I hope I've done you proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment