Friday, December 9, 2011

No Longer An Option

In 1992 I quit a good job that I had for ten years to make a career move.  I got a little more money and a lot more responsibility and fabulous work experience I would never have had if I had stayed in my old job.  This experience served me well and without it I probably would not be where I am today in my career.

You better believe I was scared! It's awfully hard to give up a "sure thing".  As it turned out, the "sure thing" was not so sure after all because the large company I was with simply decided to fold up shop a few years later and I would have had to find a new job anyway.  At the time, I could not imagine that happening.

You know what helped?  This little Mary Engelbreit cartoon.  I looked at it every day and actually bought a wristwatch that had it on the watch face so I would see it often.  (I still have that watch.)  It reminded me that once you make a decision, for better or for worse, you have to move ahead. Perhaps the decision did not work out exactly in the way you expected it to but other unexpected good things came from it.

How did Robert Frost put it? Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment