Thursday, December 29, 2011

Kanaynahara

One of my favorite Yiddish expressions!  It  literally translates to three separate words: “no evil eye.”  I use this expression to ward off the evil eye resulting from my sudden realization that my loved ones are healthy, I still have a job, etc.  I also use “poo poo poo” (which is supposed to sound like spitting three times) in the exact same way. 

To assist in my efforts to ward off the evil eye and the subsequent destruction of all things good in my life, I wear these four bracelets ->
One was given to me by cousin Jeannie and one is from cousin Harvey (bought on our Israel trip).

There is a very old Jewish joke about a woman who asks a five year old, “What’s your name, sweetie?” and she answers, “Shayna maidelah (pretty little girl) poo poo poo.

Hey, it can't hurt, can it?  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment