Friday, December 16, 2011

A Plug for Audio Books

I like books but lately I have found that actually reading books is not so much fun.  This is because my schedule only allows for a few minutes of reading a day, usually at night right before bedtime.  After a few pages I instantly slip into the coma-like state I call sleep.  At that rate, it takes me forever to finish a book and plus it is chopped up into impossibly small pieces.

A few years ago a friend suggested I try audio books.  At the time I was commuting to work 28 miles each way plus I wandered around at lunchtime, thus providing plenty of time to listen to an audio book.  Listening to a book is wonderful!  It's like having someone read you a story and they're also like plays or TV shows because they're acted out in several voices and maybe even with suspenseful music or sound effects.

I just finished V is for Vengeance and am well into Zero Day, both best sellers provided free of charge by the County Library.  But the funny thing is that I can  listen to books I could never, ever get through if I had to actually read them.  Would you believe I listened to all 752 pages of the biography of John Adams??  I did indeed. 

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment