Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Maid

The maid arrives every day just as I have finished my morning coffee. She always knows just what I'd like done that day - laundry, vacuuming, dusting (although she hates it), cleaning the bathrooms, doing the dishes, whatever. She knows exactly how I like the clothes hung and how everything needs to be folded on the shelves and how the shoes and handbags are organized. When she does dust, all the knick-knacks are put back in their exact right places and the pictures are still straight on the walls.  She is also willing to do other work, whatever I need done. She'll pull weeds, or sweep the lanai and front walkway and the garage, or clean the BBQ, or sew a hem or a button. 

I must admit, sometimes she seems a little grumpy about these chores but often times I hear her singing a little tune. Today it was an off-key rendition of Hashkiveinu and Baby The Rain Must Fall.

When she decides she's had enough she leaves. The house is neat and pretty clean, although not perfect. As my mother always said about herself, she gave it "a lick and a promise". I guess that's my maid's philosophy as well.

I've had the same maid for almost 45 years now. Sometimes I think she might be slowing down and I should get her some help. But I kind of like her and she still seems to be happy to take care of my house.

I'll keep going as long as I can!

;-)

1 comment: