Thursday, April 10, 2014

House Blessing

On the way to Aldi's and Winn-Dixie yesterday we spotted an "Estate Sale" sign just a few blocks from our house. I had never been to an estate sale but my late BFF used to love them. Of course she loved shopping in any form, hahaha.

How strange and sad to see an entire lifetime of collections, books, memories and furniture offered up for sale. From the smallest of cooking utensils to what must have been treasured possessions, there was everything they owned laid bare. You could see the story of people who once travelled the world but who must have slowed considerably when the handicapped ramps were added to the house.

Although the owners were most likely Cuban Christians there was a a framed House Blessing hanging on the wall, a print done in Hebrew micro-calligraphy and signed by the artist with a short explanation. The artist lives in Israel (I googled her) but how amazing! She went to my university Alma Mater and probably lived close to me growing up. I hesitate to mention how little I paid for this treasure but I assure you, it will continue to bless my house for many years to come.

;-)

1 comment: