Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Dade's Battlefield

On my Bucket List is to see a Civil War battle re-enactment. I love American History and have just finished George Washington's Secret Six- The Spy Ring That Saved The American Revolution (the first book I got from the Sumter County Public Library!).

It's Christmas Eve morning (one of the two most melancholy days of the year for me) and just like a great Christmas present, this ad was in the paper!  I can't wait!





Of course Dade's Battle was a clobbering (massacre) by the Seminoles in 1835, definitely not a Civil War battle. So that activity remains on my Bucket List.  Dade went on to somehow get the biggest County in Florida named for him (Miami-Dade) along with many other places like Dade Counties in Missouri and Georgia, Dadeville Alabama and Dade City Florida.

History can be quite forgiving as Major Dade had little else to his credit to warrant such memorials. Good to know...


;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment