Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Armed Forces

Last Saturday was Armed Forces Day and Memorial Day will be celebrated on May 28th.  I watch the PBS Memorial Day Concert every year with tears in my eyes and my charity dollars go to disabled and paralyzed veterans (God Bless Them).  Even in the Viet Nam war years (and subsequent similar actions) when I was horribly conflicted about what-the-hell-were-we-doing-there, I strongly supported our military.  In my opinion there are few, if any, higher callings.

I think seeing my future husband in his University of Illinois ROTC uniform and envisioning a glorious future of travel, adventure and financial security quickened my girlish heartbeat.  I am happy he never became 2nd Lieutenant cannon-fodder in Viet Nam but to this day I wish my life would have included being a military wife.  I am not sure why because Lord knows, it is not an easy life and the separations can be brutal. 

The rabbi mentioned in Torah study class that military personnel have preference over all others in some Jewish practices or laws.  Rightly so, I believe.  They are ones who sacrifice to protect us all. 

A young Facebook friend asked for prayers today for her husband who just arrived in Afghanistan.  God Bless him and all our service men and women (and our service K-9s too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment