Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Third Third

About 25 years ago I heard an interesting statistic. I'm not sure where it came from or even if it's true but it does kind of ring true: one out of three people do not make it to age 65! That bit of not-so-good-news has haunted me and I'm reminded again of it because I will reach that magic milestone in a matter of days.

It's a big number, that's for sure. And I do not take for granted how lucky I am to reach it in good health, with a healthy and loving husband, with a comfortable home and financial well-being, with accomplishments and friends, and with a joyful heart and optimism that the best is yet to be.

In good moments I muse that I am still vibrant and attractive, smart and funny, a good conversationalist and an asset to any social circle. In bad moments I wonder why I am moving so slowly (sciatica acting up?) and why I forgot to do something and where the heck are my reading glasses? There is no denying that 65 is O-L-D  and that I well deserve my Medicare card (Part A only thanks to great employee health benefits!) and the senior discount at the Golden Corral early bird buffet.

The Sun Sentinel used to publish a column called "The Third Third" written by a nice senior lady about topics that seemed a long way off to me. I was much more interested at the time in career problems and building financial security than in her more genteel pursuits.
Not so anymore.

Old Age???  Bring It On!  I'm ready for you!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment