Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Best of Me

SPOILER ALERT!

I was in the mood for a little light reading to take my mind off recent world events and decided on Nicholas Sparks' The Best of Me. 

Sparks is a master of Chick Lit and his books are constantly being made into high grossing Chick Flicks.  His premises are always reliable: impossibly gorgeous couple who are both too-kind-and-wonderful-to-be-true are In Love. Trouble is, both are shlepping enormous baggage and additionally, someone-is-out-to-get-them.

I was counting on a happy ending which is usually a forgone conclusion with Sparks, but The Best of Me had a bit of a plot twist and a bittersweet ending. It actually resulted in my lying up in bed pondering the meaning-of-it-all which was certainly not the outcome I wanted from a frothy one-day "beach read" that I thought could easily be flipped through the boring parts to a satisfying conclusion.

Since today is my birthday and a day when I ponder My Life So Far, I asked myself what the best part of Me might be?  I didn't have to ponder long to remember that the best part of all of us is the impact we've made on other people. Same "lesson" as in the book. Sleep soon followed.

The next time I want some light reading I think I'll pick up a Harlequin romance...

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment