Wednesday, September 24, 2014

5775

Tonight kicks off Rosh Hashonah and 5775 and I am happy that we will be spending it at the home of special new friends. I already saw their beautiful table set up for dinner and it reminded me of the wonderful holiday memories of years gone by.

I am eagerly awaiting the second year in my new home. We are settled in and my past life feels like it was quite a long time ago.

But this morning I received an email that reminded me that although I had a wonderful 5774 (marred only by hubby's awful bout with Prednisone), the World did not have such a great year.

War in Israel. Sixty-five beautiful IDF soldiers and several Israeli civilians cut down in their prime (and one in his infancy). Upheaval in the Middle East and the worst terrorism since 2001. Public beheadings and executions. Crucifixions!  Ebola. Russian aggression. Anti-Semitism - the worst since the Holocaust.

But I believe there is cause for hope if one looks deep enough. The world seems to be united in condemning terrorism and evil and is willing to do something about it. Israel and Jews will survive. Ebola will be conquered or contained in the same way AIDs has been mitigated. Miracles will still occur.

And every day can bring us joy. I interrupted my writing this post to dash out with a bag of garbage when I heard the garbage truck outside. Whoops! Garbage day is tomorrow, not today - today is only for green waste. No matter, the nice garbage man insisted on taking my bag anyway. Smile :-) 

I'm reminded once again how sweet life is.

Welcome 5775!

No comments:

Post a Comment