Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Little Things

It's the little things that make the difference between happiness and frustration. I think that's true in human relationships as well as with one's satisfaction with all the material things we buy and use. It's definitely true with hotels.

My friends at Orbitz, where I make most of our travel arrangements, promised me a 15% off coupon if I submit a review of our most recent stay at the Toronto Holiday Inn Yorkdale.  Usually this offer does not entice me but not this time.  While it is still fresh in my mind I wrote the following review. 

This is the second time we've stayed at this hotel which we chose for its proximity to family. This last stay, in June 2014, was significantly worse than the first stay. The parking card did not work, the pay-per-view did not work, the room key suddenly stopped working and we were locked out of our room, both elevators were being serviced and we waited 10 minutes before using the house phone to call for help. The staff said to use the service elevator which needed special instructions on how to use. We complained to the manager and she comped our parking ($10 a day, they don't tell you that up front) and a breakfast.  The breakfast buffet is great (fruit and fish etc.) but the "hot" food was cold (especially the bacon and eggs) and that was as soon as it was set out. The coffee was not ready when the buffet opened. I get home and find there is an unauthorized charge on my credit card which I am told is "normal" and will be reversed in 5 days! That's new I think. "Just in case" we spent something which we did not;  Our bill showed no charges due. The super-size pillows were hard to sleep on and gave us neck aches. All in all, it was the little things that made this stay so unpleasant...

On the plus side, I cannot argue with the lox, smoked fish, raspberries and exotic fruits on their scrumptious breakfast buffet and the pretty decor inside the hotel. I'm guessing we'll be back because it is the only hotel close to the family and venues we are likely to visit. But I can definitely wait awhile!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment