Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Shehechiyanu

Apparently the online Medicare application system could not handle the fact that I retired from active employment over two years ago and that I still have healthcare benefits from my former employer.  This necessitated an in-person visit to my local Social Security Office this morning. It was not a wasted endeavor by any means as I scored both a delicious breakfast at the Fruitland Park Diner and a perfect red chair for the library from the Big Lots in Leesburg.

I am always a bit thoughtful at these types of excursions which I consider life milestones. Today's trip reminded me that growing older and applying for Medicare is an opportunity denied to many.

I watched one of my favorite shows last night, Rizzoli and Isles, and was reminded that one of those people was Lee Thompson Young, only 29, who died last year of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.  Last night R and I did a touching tribute to this sweet and gorgeous young man, a gifted actor and a fan favorite since his days as a teenage actor. It was said he had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for which he had been taking medication and that he had been suffering from depression before his death.

Am I sad about turning 65? Not at all. We Jews have a prayer, the Shehechiyanu, for any time we celebrate a happy occasion or reach a milestone or even welcome the first snowfall or put on a new article of clothing: Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, who has kept us alive, and sustained us, and enabled us to reach this moment.

I count my visit to the Social Security Office as one of those moments...

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment