Saturday, January 25, 2014

What I Used To Be

I met a nice woman at Shul last night.  She asked where we were were from and I said South Florida by way of Chicago. She said she also was from South Florida and moved to The Villages from a 55+ community in Boynton Beach called Valencia Palms. I knew the place well as it had always been in the back of our minds as a potential retirement haven.

She went on to say how unhappy she had been in Valencia Palms. The people there, she said, were all about money. Their first question was either "what street do you live on?" (not on the lake - gasp! you must be poor!) or "what did you do before you retired?" (doctor or lawyer were good answers).  She said here at The Villages no one cares about your past life or whether you live in a villa, a cottage, a designer home or a premier home.  And you know what? She was right.

No one I've met here has ever asked me about what I did "before". It's like my past life never existed and I have been reborn as a Villager.  I love it!

Oh of course I am proud of my past career and am happy it helped give us the wherewithal to retire comfortably.  But truly, that was then and this is now.  And now is fantastic!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment