Sunday, September 29, 2013

Use versus Throw

My mantra, my credo, my guiding principle used to be "use it up, wear it out, make do or do without". I didn't always adhere completely to it, I must confess, and through the years I can count many "frivolous" purchases and many, many mistakes in consumerism. But basically I strived for frugality and many times I would forgo a purchase in the name of righteous thrift. I tried to use whatever I had on hand no matter if it was old, worn, ugly or that I basically hated it.

Recently, Facebook friend Gil sent an email with pictures of the Great Depression, a reminder it was a mere 80 years ago and an admonishment to adhere to my old adage "use it up, wear it out, make do or do without".  Well, I have a different take on my old tenet these days: if I hate it, out it goes. The world is filled with wonderful stuff that will delight me, make my life easier and best of all, that I can afford.

Case in point: as I pulled down our quality Samsonite luggage - only about 7 years old and purchased from a top department store - from the high shelves in our closet, I realized They Weigh A Ton, even empty. Designed for a time not so long ago when airlines did not give luggage weight limits, they were obsolete. So I hi-tailed it to the Festival Market where I found a super large suitcase that weighs only 5 pounds.  After buying the Samsonite I had figured we'd never buy luggage again but see, I was wrong.  I refuse to be one of those old folks who do not move forward with the times!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment