Monday, September 16, 2013

I Promise

Awhile back I wrote about the "40 bags in 40 days challenge", way before I suspected we might be moving. It's been a little over 40 days since I began the chore of examining every item in the house, deciding if it stays or goes, cleaning it if necessary and packing it.  To aid in my effort I purchased a roll of 60 extra strength Hefty bags in the handy 30 gallon size.  I ran out about a week ago and got another 25. I have about ten left so do the math, that's a lot of purging and doesn't count the weekly "bulk" pickups or the recycle can or the drop offs at Goodwill and the Broward County hazardous waste disposal site. I suspect I will use the remaining ten quite quickly as I am not yet done (but getting there!)

As promised by the aficionados of this challenge, it IS quite satisfying and actually fun (if you have a very loose definition of "fun").  It is also a trip down memory lane as I can identify the origin and providence of most objects. But other doodads are like "finds" from an archeologist's dig site - things that used to be useful to someone for something but I have no earthly idea what that could be.

It is also amazing to realize how much stuff we own and how little we really need to have immediately available.  Some toiletries and vitamins and OTC drugs.  A few pairs of jeans and t-shirts and shoes and one or two "nicer" outfits.  The box with our personal files, passports and medical directives. The two laptops, desk computer, two iPads and our smartphones of course. A couple of personal items I don't exactly trust the movers with.

So I hereby vow to never again have 75 bags of stuff I no longer need, like or want. This is harder than it sounds because my motto has always been wear it out, use it up and consider if it will come in handy in the event of a nuclear holocaust. But I promise I WILL sweep every area in my new house at least once a year!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment