Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Torah Study

Pizza and Parasha tonight with Rabbi Emeritus Frazin. I am no Torah scholar, that's for sure, but I do have a favorite passage:

Genesis, Chapter 12
The Lord said to Abram, Go forth from your native land and from your father's house to the land that I will show you.
I will make of you a great nation,
And I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
And you shall be a blessing.

This passage and the ones surrounding it give Jews their claim to the land of Israel.   It has been beautifully crafted into the lovely ballad by Debbie Friedman, L'Chai Lach (Go Forth).

Other favorites? Of course Ecclesiastes Chapter 3, "to everything there is a season..."  Also beautifully adapted into the ballad "Turn Turn Turn".

And from the Book of Ruth, the heart-wrenching plea "Beseech me not to leave you or refrain from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God."

Beautiful, no?

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment