Friday, October 26, 2012

Interesting Times

I finished listening to Killing Kennedy, the Number 1 non-fiction bestseller.  How fascinating is this story of the events of 1962-1963 leading up to JFK's assassination!  Even more so for me as it was the time I first became aware that there was a great big world outside my home, my school and my neighborhood.  I actually remember most or at least some of it..

Although JFK enjoyed a super high approval rating, there were plenty of factions that would have preferred to see him dead - mobsters, a crazed despot in Southeast Asia, his own Vice-President, angry Russians who were confounded by the Cuban Missile Crisis, a legion of spurned lovers, the anti-Civil Rights KKKers, Communists (like Lee Harvey Oswald) and the friends, relatives and supporters of the Cuban freedom fighters whom JFK left stranded at the Bay of Pigs. No wonder so many conspiracy theories about his murder abounded!  So many problems during that era, yet we think of it as Camelot, a genteel time and place when all was beautiful.  

There is an old Chinese blessing (or is it a curse?): "May you live in interesting times".   

Yes indeed, I certainly have...


No comments:

Post a Comment