Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Friends and Politics

I don't have a whole lot of friends but the ones I have are all very smart, well informed, compassionate and thoughtful.  They are all menschs - they take care of their families, work hard, and (almost always) love the same partner for decades.  Several help rescue animals and quite a few work to promote causes I myself believe in. 

Many, indeed most, are Democrats and I can see why. They, like me, support a woman's right to choose (some of us remember when women got "back room" abortions), the complete separation of Church and State, the DREAM Act, gay marriage, giving a hand to those in need and the repeal of don't ask don't tell (THE stupidest policy I think I've ever heard of).  They are scared of policies that would hurt "the little guy" and help the rich get richer on the backs of the working man or woman.

For a reason that is deeply important to me, I did not vote Democratic this year. That does not mean I will not do so in the future or that I agree with all parts of the Republican platform or that I am enamoured with its candidates or that I have lost my mind.  I truly believe I am an Independent voter and being Independent in all things is a good thing.  

On that one I think we can all agree. 

;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment