Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Villages

I always pictured that retirement would be in a huge retirement community for "active adults" ala the Del Webb communities or even like my folks' now aging Kings Point enclave. Now that I'm actually retired, I am not quite as interested in this lifestyle change as I thought I'd be.

Two friends have bought new places recently, one in Del Webb, Georgia and the other in The Villages, Florida.  The Villages, located about an hour and a half  from Orlando in the middle of nowhere, is probably the hugest retirement community in the world.  I simply Must check it out.

We're planning to meet up with Scott and Victoria and a bunch of Vicky's family (love them!) in late December in Orlando.  We'll cuddle the kids and celebrate Scott's birthday at a fancy restaurant.  It's the perfect opportunity for a side trip overnight to The Villages and see if life there might truly be better.  I honestly doubt it because as I get older, living in a Jewish community has become more important to me.  I love seeing deli's and Judaica stores and Shuls and yes, even the Frummers walking on Shabbos.

The Villages' promise is that we can live like millionaires on our retirement budget.  But it's hard to believe life could be much better than living here...

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment