Friday, August 31, 2012

The Famous

My folks lived in a wonderful retirement community that offered dirt-cheap living with tons of activities, clubs, swimming pools, congenial neighbors and free bus service to almost anywhere one could possibly need to get to.  Although they are both long gone, I still have kept and maintained their condo.  I am not exactly sure why I have been reluctant to part with it except that it represents a happy and affordable place I could go to in my worst possible case scenario. 

One benefit of this little place is that it is close to the The Famous, a huge Jewish grocery/deli (owned and run by Pakistanis) that titillates my senses and quickly transports me back to my youth and a ton of happy memories, all associated with Food.  The food of our ethnic heritage - no matter what that heritage is - is like the cement (pun intended) that binds us (pun intended) to our past, our traditions, our inheritance and our legacy.

The Famous boasts every variety of lox, pickles, matzo balls, chopped liver, knishes, kreplach, smoked fish, rye bread, rum balls, challah, rugaleh, cabbage soup, potato pancakes, corned beef, cucumbers-in-vinegar and every other yummy treat I could imagine. I guess even if my worst case scenario comes to pass (poo-poo-poo) I won't have it too, too bad!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment