Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Big Easy

Hurricane Isaac is pummeling New Orleans ("Nawlins") as I write this.

New Orleans is my favorite city, aside from my two hometowns of course.  I adore all things Nawlins, from the French Quarter to the Cafe du Monde (beignets!).  I have Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana cookbook and have tried to recreate those great Cajun dishes. 

My second favorite movie is "The Big Easy" with Dennis Quaid and Ellen Barkin.  My favorite dress (now over 25 years old) is still the fabulous black shirtwaist with the wide belt I just-had-to-buy when I last visited New Orleans.  I still get compliments whenever I wear it. 

This photograph - taken in the rain when I was up but the French Quarter was still asleep - hangs in the bedroom where it can quickly transport me back in time.  And of course, I visit Popeye's whenever I feel the urge (often).

I've visited New Orleans three times and have seen Mardi Gras live twice.  I hope and pray this incredible corner of the world will be safe from this storm and still there for me to visit and enjoy again and again.





No comments:

Post a Comment