Sunday, August 19, 2012

Late Life Surprises

These usually refer to surprise babies but in my case "late life surprises" are those things that entered my life in the last few years, like reconnecting with old friends (some whose names I had forgotten) and learning to play poker.

I never thought I could learn play poker although I have always harbored a secret desire to play.  Once you know the basics, it's just a matter of playing a zillion games and honing your instincts and skill.  This could only have been accomplished (by me) by playing free poker online (thanks Zynga!) otherwise I would be broke by now. 

I strive to break even and maybe inch ahead in my virtual chip stash.  I've even met virtual poker "buddies" (not to be confused with virtual friends-of-friends whom I also have never met) that I look forward to playing with. 

Poker seems to be a universal language that the whole world knows. It is not unusual to find a Mohammad or Abdul playing with an Avi or Yitzak in a virtual poker room.  It's kind of cool to have joined this happy multinational consortium who come to the table and bring their chips.

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment