Monday, January 19, 2015

Dining Room

Who needs a dining room these days? I've had my dining room table for thirty years and up to this year I could count the number of times we actually used it on one hand - a few Thanksgiving dinners and seders. Meals have been taken mainly at the kitchen table or counter or sitting on the sofa in front of the TV.

But all that changed when we moved to The Villages. First of all the dining room is better located so that one can eat on it and watch the TV in the living room. Second, we "entertain" now - poker games and upcoming Havurah meetings and card games with friends and neighbors. Although the table is too long for four person Maj Jong get-togethers, I anticipate pressing the chairs into service alongside the folding card table.

So I have invested in reupholstering the six chairs (the material was fine but the cushions were sagging a bit) and buying pads for the two table leaves (I never thought I'd ever use the leaves so I skipped buying pads for them when I ordered the table pads thirty years ago). When the new rug arrives my dining room will be ready.

I remember going to downtown Chicago to Marshall Field's to buy the set. I believe I saw an advertisement for it in the paper one Sunday. I loved the idea of buying classic furniture at Field's (where "rich people" shop!) and I wanted a set to replace the horrific "Spanish" style set I owned which was 1. cheap and 2. incredibly ugly. I guess I did OK because the set is still classic and I have yet to see one I like better.

Who needs a dining room? I guess I do...

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment