Sunday, January 4, 2015

2015 Musings

The start of the new year is always a time for reflection and contemplation for me. I am usually a bit melancholy at the end of the so-called "hap-hap-happiest time of the year" and prone to a vague feeling of bummed-out no matter how many parties I've attended or how many presents I've received. Is it like that for everyone or just me? 

The start of the year brings the bills from the previous month of gluttonous over-indulgence along with (in our case) the January bills for life insurance, Temple dues, and the fourth estimated income tax payment (less now that I've retired). Bummer. Also the scale registers the price I've paid for the consumption of a few too many cookies and festive meals. 

My cure for this funky state of affairs is, of course, Gratitude. I'm glad for the people who thought enough to gift me with even those things I can't say I care for (what were they thinking??) and the people who dropped off "Merry Christmas" cards in our mailbox (and especially the ones who made the effort to find a "Peace" card and wrote Happy Chanukah on it). I'm especially glad for the neighbors who invited us to their homes for Christmas Eve dinner and I'm grateful for the folks who made the effort to call us and invite us to eat out or play cards.

Hello 2015! I won't insult you with resolutions I'm very likely to break before February. I'm glad you are here and that we are here to welcome you. 

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment