Sunday, December 21, 2014

Torah Roundtable

I went to a "Torah Study Roundtable" last week, hosted by the rabbi of the congregation in nearby Leesburg Florida. It was well attended and the discussion was mostly about the origin of various Christmas symbols: wreaths, trees, lights, Santa, candy canes, stockings, gifts etc.  The rabbi's premise was that since many of these traditions came about though non-religious customs, couldn't we, as Jews, adopt them in our own homes as part of our holiday celebrations? 

She went around the room soliciting opinions.  Mine was the following: "I am Jewish. If Christians have adopted certain symbols and customs as part of their religious celebration, those symbols have no place in my home."

My opinion was the shortest anyone offered.  Most people went on and on about how they or their children "celebrated both holidays" due to mixed marriages. Only one or two professed to have Jewish children and grandchildren that only celebrated Chanukah. Several said that their Christian in-laws "loved Jewish stuff" and boasted that she or he could "even say the blessings in Hebrew".  It was a little depressing. 

One argument was that "the children" are upset that "Santa doesn't love Jewish children".  All their little friends get wonderful Christmas presents. Waaaaa! I am not an expert on child rearing but my initial thought was that the parents should make a bigger deal out of Chanukah and definitely instill in those children that they are indeed Not Christians. Since I secretly suspect that More Presents will make those kiddos happy I do not perceive this "problem" as being insurmountable. 

Interestingly, I learned it is the innocuous candy cane that is one of the most religious of the Christmas symbols.  The red and white represents the blood and purity of Christ. 

The Menorah lighting in the Spanish Springs Square is at 3 pm today. I'll be there.

Chag Chanukah Sameach!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment