Sunday, December 7, 2014

Jews News

I am going to apply to start a new official Villages club that will add to the 1,000 plus clubs already in existence. It will be called "Jews News" and this is the description I'll be publishing:


Jews News Discussion Group

Topics pulled from today’s headlines concerning Jews, Israel and the Middle East – current events, politics, USA relations, threats, anti-Semitism and terrorism - are all explored in this lively, open-discussion class.  Expression of all viewpoints is encouraged.  We may also learn about Jewish and Israeli culture and history through documentary films, book reviews and discussion.  Rotating discussion moderators with specific areas of knowledge are welcome. 

There was a similar group at the JCC in South Florida that I enjoyed tremendously for a brief time and there is nothing similar offered right now in The Villages. I thought about trying to get it started as part of the Temple or the Sisterhood but I know it will pull a lot more people if I make it open to everyone in The Villages (lots of Jews here are not Temple members). 

I guess my job will be to pick monthly discussion topics and circulate thought-provoking articles in advance of the meetings. Hopefully the large contingent of vocal and opinionated folks I've met here will quickly want to assist and/or take over some or all of those duties hahaha.

Wish me luck!

;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment