Friday, December 19, 2014

MATSCOTUS

I purchased this book at neighbor Jack's garage sale about a week ago.  He even autographed it for me although we had a bit of confusion as he asked "To? To?" (meaning who's the recipient?)  and I thought he was saying "Two! Two!" (meaning give me two dollars). Jack self published this book, a wonderful new trend that assures your novel will be published and distributed, if only to neighbors and friends.

MATSCOTUS (Murder At The Supreme Court Of The United States) has already exceeded my expectations because I am still reading it one-third of the way in. It has an interesting premise and the background material is well researched. It is at least as good as anything I could have produced. If I have any constructive criticism at this point it would be that the Murder took place in the first few pages and the last 60 or 70 pages have been all about building the background of the protagonist, Colt Montgomery.  I have almost forgotten who it is that got whacked. 

I can see why Jack did this - even a good plot cannot carry a book if there is no empathy for your main character. I now feel I know everything about Colt's mom, dad, alma mater, girlfriend, sisters, nieces, nephews and his ex-brother-in-law that I need to, at least at this point. I eagerly await the return of the murder investigation which I'm sure will resume shortly.  

I congratulate my neighbor for this effort and for capturing my interest. Trust me, I am not the easiest reader to impress!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment