Friday, March 28, 2014

Social Cards

I have resolved to make new friends here in The Villages and now that the house is almost complete (new kitchen faucets, appliances and a new massage chair are still on their way) I have upped the priority of this intention.

Aiding this effort are Social Cards, a staple of life here in The Villages.  Everyone has them. They are like business cards but with your home address, personal phone numbers and email. Many have little descriptions like "Happily Retired Villagers", "Adventure Enthusiasts" or "Retirees Extraordinaire". I have collected about a dozen and when I look them over I see only a few that I recognize or remember who those folks are or where I met them. It helps when they put a photo of themselves on the card.

I have two versions of our Social Cards. On the second try I added our picture and email (which I had forgotten on the first attempt) and eliminated the cell phone numbers (too much information I thought). Naturally I picked a good photo of us, dressed to the nines and taken by the professional photographer on a recent cruise, which means no one will recognize us in real life even if they are holding our card in their hands. I am still not sure either version is my best effort and since my entire social life depends on making a good first impression (haha) there may be a third attempt.

I am not just relying on Social Cards to do the job. I am trying a new club today and following that age-old advice: "Smile! People will like you!"

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment