Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Happy Purim

My incredible cousin Charles (known to me as "Chuckie" but I'm sure he no longer uses the diminutive of his name) called Sunday to tell me that his son David (I can't wait for his wedding in Toronto in June) read directly from our family heirloom - a hand written Megillah on sheepskin - at their shul. I was moved to tears.

Chuck knew how thrilled I would be to see our traditions passed through the generations. And my father was right to pass the Megillah and our other family heirloom - the ram's horn Shofar - to Chuck's family who can both read the Megillah and sound the Shofar.

I believe our family heirlooms date far past my Great-Grandfather Avignor but I will credit David with reading from his Great-Great-Great-Grandfather's Megillah. His lineage is: Avignor -> Shmuel Tzvi -> Gittel (Holocaust Victim) -> Ruth (Holocaust Survivor) -> Charles -> David. I am sure the ancestors are kvelling in Heaven.

Yasher Koach David! Good Job!

:'-)

No comments:

Post a Comment