Saturday, March 22, 2014

Dish Towels

I have a secret fetish - Dish Towels! Just like some women just have to check out the shoes wherever they shop, I need to zip past the dish towel aisle and check out the offerings. I have dish towels from every place I've ever lived, including ones my Mom embroidered in the 40s and my grandmother trimmed with crochet. I even bought a dish towel as a souvenir on my honeymoon!

When we decided to move I vowed to toss my old, ratty friends and buy fresh new dish towels with cheerful red prints. At the last minute I thought hmmm I'll just use my old friends while we're in the rental unit.  Then I thought hmmm these old towels will come in handy while I spruce up the new house. You guessed it, I still have them all (along with an impressive assortment of brand new ones with cheerful red prints).

But today I got this email from a neighbor:
I work at the Wildwood Soup Kitchen on Thursday and we are in always in need of gently used and loved kitchen towels. If anyone has some they would like to donate, I would be glad to pick them up. You can also leave them at our door. The soup kitchen is now serving close to 300 lunches a day and the towels get a work out. Being a dish washer, I can attest to that.
Thank you so much,
Leslie

I'll be dropping off a stack as soon as I finish this post. And, as fate would have it, they were already sitting on the counter in preparation for the new faucet and hot water dispenser to be installed.

"Gently used and loved"! How did she know??

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment