Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Snowbirds Part Two

Brunch today at Giorgio's Grill on the Hollywood Intercoastal with returning snowbirds - cousins Jeannie and Marek Sutkiewicz!  I am excited and not just because there's all-you-can-eat lox on the menu!

Cousin Jeannie (grand-daughter of my father's sister Gittel who perished in the Holocaust) and I were close when we were teenagers.  We stopped writing after we both married and our lives took different directions.

In March 2007, Jeannie sent me an email and we renewed our friendship as if the almost 40 years were nothing.  My BFF had passed away the previous year and I took Jeannie's reappearance in my life as a gift from Heaven.  (I am very mushy that way)

Jeannie is the daughter of Holocaust survivors and her second husband Marek is himself a Holocaust survivor.  He is 22 years her senior (84) but it is a wonderful match and God Willing, they will have many more happy years together.  But the specter of the Holocaust is never far from their thoughts.

Jeannie is a bona-fide "yenta" and Jewish Princess par excellence. She is also gorgeous, she's smart, well-read and educated (even without any college), she speaks four languages fluently, she's a great friend and a true joy in my life.

Even better than all-you-can-eat lox  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment