Thursday, November 24, 2011

Fields

I've been watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and I truly do appreciate the part that parade has played in making my many Thanksgivings special.

But I am a true Chicagoan and deep down I am still sorry that Macy's replaced Marshall Fields, a Chicago icon for decades, if not for a century.

When I was a girl the supreme treat would be a visit to the downtown flagship store to see the incomparable Fields Christmas tree in the famed Walnut Room.  Of course, we could never afford to eat there.  But after I married and became "affluent", it was a dream-come-true to finally be able to join the "upper crust" of Chicago Society (not really but that's what I perceived) and have lunch right there!  Right beside the tree!

When I was young I thought that if I ever became "rich" I would shop at Fields.  I  never got that "rich" but my dining room set did come from the downtown Fields and I treasure it even more because of that. 

Nothing will replace Marshall Fields and Company in my mind and my memories.  And in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment