Thursday, August 25, 2011

Taste of Chicago

The kids sent a huge carton of frozen treats from Lou Malnati's. What a surprise!  They know I have a soft spot for deep dish Chicago pizza and Long Grove apple pie and carmel-cheese corn from downtown and Vienna all-beef SuperDawgs. I could not imagine more thoughtful and loving kids and I would hate it if they knew The Truth.

Its not the food I miss (and Lord knows no matter how carefully I follow the directions the stuff never tastes exactly right).   Because if I'm not actually IN Chicago it's just not the same.

The yummy part of the carmel-cheese corn is smelling it wafting down Randolph and Wabash. The delectable joy of the deep dish is eating it in the dark cave of Gino's East off Michigan Avenue and knowing I am in the coolest place on Earth.  And the SuperDawg will never, ever be as good unless I'm looking up at Mr. and Mrs. Dawg on Milwaukee Avenue.

But don't tell the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment