Thursday, April 30, 2015

Marco Part Two

An American Son: A MemoirWhenever I am interested in a political candidate I get their book(s) from the library and learn more about them. I read The Audacity of Hope and Dreams from my Father - I found them tedious and dull - and tried Hillary Clinton's Hard Choices (which I could not possibly slog through). But in an effort to be an "educated consumer" I fetched Marco Rubio's latest - American Dreams - and his earlier autobiography - An American Son - from the Sumter County library. American Dreams is a compendium of his policies, the ones I'm sure he will run on in the upcoming primary. There are literally dozens of ideas for reform presented one after another - mind boggling! I hope he puts them together in a kind of comprehensive list for easy reference.

But it is his autobiography from 2012 that truly grabbed me. It reads like a novel, one page turner after another. His life story is truly astounding.

What captivated me the most are the tiny details, twists of fate, and serendipitous chance occurrences that produced the product we see today on the national stage. So many little things could have gone some other way and the person that is Marco Rubio could exist in a hundred different embodiments. And not just things from the Senator's own life - the strange sagas of his grandparents' and parents' lives all shaped his destiny.

So I am pondering how I got to be here, today, enjoying a rich and fulfilling life in America and retirement in The Villages. We all have a story to tell and I'm sure they are all as compelling as Marco Rubio's...

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment