Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Rocking Chair

There's no place like The Villages if you want to have an "active adult" retirement. Even if you are not particularly social and have hardly any hobbies you will soon be swept into a whirlwind of new friends, activities, events and entertainment options. 

I came to The Villages after a year and a half of retirement that consisted of taking care of the house, shopping, a weekly Maj Jong game at the JCC, maybe a library book or lunch out with an old colleague, a Torah study class twice a month, TV, a few hours of volunteering and Friday night services.  

Now I do all of the above plus the Sisterhood, the No Hatters, dinners out with friends, double or triple the Maj Jong games, Hebrew lessons, Girls Nights Out, friends on the phone, card games with neighbors, interesting lectures and club meetings and golf cart rides. It's like Retirement On Steroids!

I used to say I didn't want one of those retirements where I was banished to a rural setting with no cultural offerings and nothing to do. I am rethinking this. There's is nothing wrong with a rocking chair on the porch watching the sun rise and set and the world go by as you savor a life well lived with a Zen-like attitude.

I'm thinking of getting one of those rocking chairs!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment