Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A Tale Of Two Temples

Temple Solel
Before we moved to The Villages we belonged to Temple Solel of Hollywood Florida. I loved going to services there on Friday night. 

Without doubt, Temple Solel is the most beautiful synagogue I have ever been in. It is tastefully simple yet somehow warm, welcoming and powerfully spiritual all at the same time. Listening to Cantor Rosen sing was like listening to the voice of God. The Rabbi would give a sermon, sometimes deep and thought provoking, sometimes merely informative and interesting. As the light in the sanctuary changed from twilight to dark and the stained glass windows reflected the arrival of Shabbos, I had no doubt that I was in a holy place. When I left the Temple, I felt spiritually refreshed. The end of the work week was well defined by the start of our age old tradition.

When we came to The Villages, we joined Temple Shalom. It is also a beautiful synagogue with lovely stained glass windows and it's truly awe inspiring when you see it lit up at night. The services and commentaries on the Parsha are conducted by very talented lay leaders and musicians. Truth be told, the three alternating versions of the Friday night service are enjoyable but getting a bit boring; they never vary more than an iota. 
Temple Shalom

Temple Solel and Temple Shalom differ in another way. The services at Temple Solel were attended by perhaps twenty to fifty (big night!). We only met two couples that we saw outside of services in our almost three years of membership. Temple Shalom draws a full house almost every week and almost all the attendees are congenial folks of our own age. We have met literally dozens of people who are now friends and social companions. 

In some ways I feel I have traded off the intangible feeling of sacred mysticism I felt at Temple Solel for the friendship, camaraderie and fellowship I find at Temple Shalom.  Which is better? 

Not a clue...

No comments:

Post a Comment