Saturday, May 10, 2014

Furgeen

Back in November I blogged about a word that was new to me: schadenfreude, the pleasure one feels from another's misfortune. German, but I won't pursue that fact unnecessarily.

Today, thanks to a Facebook post, I was reminded of a wonderful word that I use frequently: firgun (I pronounce it "furgeen"). A beautiful sentiment that means the pleasure one feels from another's good fortune. Hebrew, but I won't dwell on that fact unnecessarily.

Like many other words I borrow from Yiddish, Hebrew, French or the Urban Dictionary, there is no one word equivalent in English.

Here's the proper way (my way anyway) to use furgeen in a sentence: I love the Desigual handbag that I picked up in Puerto Rico on our last cruise! Surely you don't furgeen me this small pleasure?!?!?

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment