Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Simcha

Cousin Chuck called last night to say how much he wants us to attend the Simcha in Toronto in a few weeks.  I am torn.

On the minus side, it is expensive to go for only a few days and a hassle to park at the airport, get on a plane, go through customs, rent a car, stay at a hotel and navigate around the city.

On the plus side, I see my relatives in Toronto so infrequently. The two remaining Holocaust survivors - my first cousins - will not be around much longer. Two of my dear cousins recently lost their husbands and I would like to hug them in person. The Simcha will be a Joy - a frum wedding with loud freilich music and more delicious food than one can imagine. Toronto in June is likely to have decent weather. The thriving Jewish population and atmosphere reminiscent of Chicago's Kedzie Avenue 60 years ago makes for fun cruising, shopping and eating. The people I would see are my closest relatives, a big tribe of smart, loving and beautiful people. I would dance like a crazy person.

What do you think?

;-)

1 comment: