Thursday, February 20, 2014

Hadassah

My father was a Zionist when the movement was in its infancy, well before anyone dreamed that a Jewish Homeland could be a reality in the 20th century. He used to talk of the great Zionist leader Theodor Herzl and I always thought he knew the man personally.  I only realized a few years ago that Herzl died before my father was born.

So when I got a phone call last night asking if I was interested in joining the Women's Zionist organization, Hadassah, what do you think I said?  I had looked into joining a chapter in South Florida but felt it met far away and it would be difficult to participate as a working woman. What a joy to be able to have the time and ability to join the organization that advocates at the local, state and national levels for women's health, reproductive rights, pay equity, domestic violence prevention, Israeli security, a strong U.S.-Israel relationship and much more. They address issues of importance to both women and the Jewish community.

My first meeting is next week at the Temple.  I will be member number 272 of The Villages chapter.

Dad would have been so proud...

:'-)

No comments:

Post a Comment