Monday, February 17, 2014

Bei Mir Bistu Shein

Thank you Borscht Belt Club of The Villages for the fabulous evening of Klezmer music last night.  It was just what I needed!  Ah, such beautiful toe-tapping Yiddish, Israeli, Hebrew and English songs. I could not help but smile through them all and accompany the band on the ones I knew by heart.  And when they sang "Bei Mir Bistu Shein" (Yiddish: בײַ מיר ביסטו שיין, "To Me You're Beautiful") I could hear my father's voice singing along.

A little sad that so few people in the audience of hundreds raised their hand when the band asked "who knows Yiddish?"  It's truly a dying language. My cousin Jeannie (my age) is the only person I know that speaks it fluently.

An old friend saw my picture yesterday and said I looked a little sick and my eyes and lips looked a bit strange. I look in the mirror and see the same old me. Hahaha.  Much better to hear the words everyone wants to hear: Bei Mir Bistu Shein. 

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment