Sunday, January 6, 2013

Rashi's Daughter

I read in today's Sun Sentinel that the author of the Rashi's Daughters trilogy, Maggie Anton, will be in South Florida for Jewish Heritage Book Month.  She will be at the nearby JCC on Tuesday - too bad we have plans for dinner with snowbird cousins from Toronto Chavey and Art.  The article reminded me that reading these books is on my to-do list so I have reserved Book 2 from the Broward County library.

I am starting with Book 2 because, of course, Rashi's middle daughter Miriam is my ancestor, my 25th great-grandmother to be exact.  I cannot wait to read about her!  She lived in Troyes France in the eleventh century, the darling, lively and gutsy middle child of Salomon ben Isaac, Rashi.  Having no sons, Grandpa taught his three daughters Mishnah and Gemara in an era when educating women in Jewish scholarship was unheard of.  A reviewer of this book said it promises to "capture the struggles and triumphs of strong Jewish women"!

I am no Miriam Bat Rashi but my family has certainly had its share of strong Jewish women...

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment