Saturday, January 26, 2013

Me and My Sh**box

My 1973 Sh**box
Back in the 70s I owned the worst car I ever had, probably the worst car ever made, a 1973 Fiat, AKA The Sh**box.  It was small and cheap, in an odd shade of green, with a manual transmission and uncomfortable seats. The oil light was perpetually on and it slurped oil like it was gasoline.  Who cared about those things then?  I was young and The Sh**box's gas mileage - remember the 1970s gas lines? - was great. 
2012 Version


The happiest day of the decade was the day I sold The Sh**box with an ad in the weekly Ad Paper.  I sold it cheap but I still feel guilty about sticking someone else with this rolling disaster.  I vowed to never own another Fiat as long as I lived.

Fast forward to 2013.  Fiat has reentered the US market with their cute little cars and lo and behold, they even come in the same weird but oddly comforting green.  I have no idea if they run any better but Heavens Above! I still want one.  Yes, it's true.  

Like a fool pining for that good looking bad-boy, I am helpless to contain my passion.  Am I nuts or what???

;-)

2 comments:

  1. I was recently given one as a rental car, and I fell in love. It was adorable, albeit impractical, because it basically holds two people and a big purse. (Maybe a few bags of groceries would fit, if you held your breath and didn't wear a coat.) I don't care - my heart starts pounding every time I see one.

    ReplyDelete