Friday, January 18, 2013

Dear Abby

Pauline Friedman Phillips AKA Abigail Van Buren has passed away at the age of 94.  Like many others, I relished reading her advice for decades and I even think that her daughter has done a good job carrying her legacy forward.  I like to read the letters and see if my own advice would be the same.  Occasionally it would be exactly the opposite..  

Here's my usual advice for whatever problem you might have:

Take yourself out of the picture.  Pretend you are Dear Abby.  Give yourself a dose of reality from the perspective of someone who is uninvolved and unbiased.

Laura called a few days ago from her car on the way to work.  I could tell she was feeling the stress of her three young children and maybe some other stuff too.  I think she felt a little better after our chat. My advice?  This is what I texted her afterwards:

Always remember, all the kids will turn out great! After all, I was worried about the two of you when you were growing up. 

Her response?  A string of 15 kissing emoticons!

RIP Dear Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment