Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Purim

My costume for Purim
Purim is coming soon and I am playing Queen Esther at the Temple's retelling of the Purim Story. I have a costume, a "crown", long dangly earrings that brush my shoulders, a necklace donated by a friend and jeweled sandals from my closet. I also ordered a long black party wig from China or Korea but it has not yet arrived.

Hubby will play my partner, King Ahasuerus. He will have an easier time with his "costume" - his Doctoral robes and head gear definitely fit the bill for regal pomposity. 

I cannot help but relate Esther's bravery in approaching the King uninvited to make a desperate plea to save the Jewish people to today's headlines. In the week we celebrate Purim, Israeli Prime Minister Benyamin Natanyahu will, although uninvited by the "King", address Congress and plead his case to save the Jewish people from nuclear annihilation at the hands of (once again) the Persian Empire that is Iran. How could he not take this risk?

May the spirit and bravery of Esther be with you Mr. Prime Minister.

No comments:

Post a Comment