Thursday, January 28, 2016

Rabbi Yossi

Rabbi Yossi
I believe this will be changing (hopefully) soon but there is very little opportunity for Torah study or Jewish learning at our Temple. I have filled this gap by schlepping to the Chabad Rabbi's weekly Torah study at the Lady Lake library.

During a previous course of study, the Rabbi used Chabad teaching materials that grouped Torah portions by topic and provided commentaries from many different scholars. I truly enjoyed it and carried away one or two lessons from every session. As an added benefit, I allayed my fears that Rabbi Yossi would try and "convert" me from Reform to Hasidic Judaism.

Recently, the Rabbi switched to studying the commentaries of only Rashi, my 26th great grandfather. Of course I am thrilled. I am hoping to reach back across the thousand years that separate us and get to know him through his thought processes.

I'll be leaving soon for this week's class. Hello again Rabbi Yossi.

And Shalom to you Grandfather!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment