Sunday, January 3, 2016

Book of Ruth

Every month our Havurah meets for an evening of camaraderie, food and an interesting program. This month our host asked us to bring our favorite Torah portions. I thought he had planned an evening of stargazing through his university quality telescope but maybe we will be doing both. After all, it's pretty chilly outside.

I put together a few of my favorite Torah verses, led of course by the most beautiful words of love ever written. I'm sure my choice will not be the only one suggested by the group. Although the verse has been re-interpreted many ways for "modern" tastes, this version is my favorite and the one I learned as a child:

And Ruth said:"Entreat me not to leave thee or to refrain from following after thee; for where thou goests, I will go, and where thou lodgest, I will lodge, thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God. And where you die, I will die, and there will I be buried."
Ruth 1, 16-17

Here are my other two "back-up" offerings:

Be Still and know that I Am God.
Psalm 46:10

She is clothed with strength and dignity. She laughs without fear of the future.
Proverbs 31:25

No comments:

Post a Comment