Sunday, October 25, 2015

Nostalgia

We put in a new pantry in the kitchen. It's gorgeous.

I got to chose the pantry door and the flooring. I picked a decidedly old-fashioned motif etched on the frosted glass door. It goes well with my other furnishings which is a good thing since the kitchen is visible from almost everywhere in our open-style home.

I knew I'd never get the pantry floor to match the existing tile so I decided to get something completely different. My thoughts drifted to the bathroom floor in our first apartment (built circa 1925) - those ubiquitous small hexagon white tiles that seemed to be the only tile flooring offered for several decades. Still to be found almost everywhere, only now they are labelled "vintage".  You guessed it, that's my new pantry floor.

Hubby suggested we get a step stool for the pantry to reach the high shelves. Again my thoughts wandered to our first apartment when my mother-in-law insisted that a Cosco chair with fold out steps was a necessity and gave us one for a gift. Oh yes, they too are still available (from the same company!), now labelled "retro" and oh yes, they have it in a beautiful shade of deep red. You guessed it, that's my new step stool.

It occurred to me that the "new" dishes I purchased for this home are also vintage - Franciscan Apple (see blog entry). Hmm, I am thinking that I am perhaps slipping into a nostalgic haze where I seek comforting tangible goods from bygone times. 

OK, I can live with that!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment