Sunday, October 4, 2015

Gift

My Sisterhood Cruise roommate and friend is celebrating 16 Cancer free years!  Her doting husband is throwing her a party but because she has been under-the-weather lately (nothing to do with cancer, Thank God). It's going to be short, only an hour. Never fear, he said, there will be platters upon platters of all kinds of tasty food. Don't eat all day and make no dinner plans he cautioned.

My friend Maxie asked me at services last night what I am giving her for a gift. I said it was something from the heart, a personal possession.

When my BFF was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer in 1996 at the age of 45 I bought us matching Patricia Locke breast cancer pins. She loved hers!  I guessed she would as we were both huge fans of Patricia Locke jewelry. 

My BFF fought her cancer bravely and when she passed away in June 2006, she was cancer free. Her death was caused by medical malpractice and radiation poisoning, not cancer. As you know, Dear Diary, we were "besties" for 40 years and I still miss her everyday and always will.

Tonight I am giving my pin to my new friend to celebrate her own victory. I hope she likes it and wears it as proudly as Sheryl, my angel, did.

No comments:

Post a Comment