Thursday, July 9, 2015

Blackout

Sometimes I pick up up a book and in a page or two I know I will not be setting it down until it's finished. Such a book is Blackout: Remembering The Things I Drank To Forget by Sarah Hepola.

It was less than 24 hours ago that I picked up this new release at the library and it was only a few minutes ago that I read the last page. I saw it mentioned in book reviews in the paper and in a magazine and much to my surprise, the library had it on the shelf with no holds.

I cannot truly relate to addiction to alcohol or cigarettes and I have never been more than a few pounds overweight. Yet I found this one woman's journey through a labyrinth of self destructive behaviors compelling. There but for the Grace of God. 

A wonderful life is the result of knowing what you really want/need and not sabotaging yourself.  Easier said than done, I know.  Temptations abound and the siren call of "who cares" and "why not" are hard to resist.

Kudos to Sarah who took a step at a time and helped herself to a better life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment